The 27th annual Naperville Ribfest is connecting those who love to eat with great causes that help those in need. Besides great food, Ribfest also highlights a variety of music. And new this year, organizers are putting on the first-ever “Hispanic Day” on Saturday, July 5.
All the proceeds from Ribfest are going to support the elimination of child abuse and domestic violence. ABC7 is a media sponsor.
Don Emery, Ribfest marketing and PR, and Mark Link, owner of Uncle Bub’s in Westmont and one of 12 rib vendors at the Ribfest, came into our ABC 7 Eyewitness News studio to tell us about the event and to show a delicious rib recipe.
Mark Link’s recipe: Uncle Bub’s Award-Winning St. Louis Rib Recipe
1 Slab of St. Louis Ribs (approximately 2-2.25lbs)
1 table spoon of lemon juice
1 ounce of Uncle Bub’s Award Winning Rib Loving BBQ Rub
Or you can make a similar rub at home with:
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup Hungarian paprika
1/4 cup garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 cup apple juice
- Remove the silver skin on the bottom of the slab of ribs. Trim ribs by removing any excess fat (not too much, you’ll need that fat for the smoking process).
- Apply lemon juice to both sides of the ribs by gently rubbing it in.
- Mix together ingredients for the rub and apply a “medium to heavy coating” to the meat side of the ribs and a “light to medium coating” on the bone side of the ribs.
- Smoke/cook ribs meat side up for approximately 3.5 hrs at 225 degrees.
- Prepare a sheet of foil for each slab with 1/2 cup apple juice.
- Remove from smoker/oven and place ribs meat side down on apple juice/foil. Pour remaining apple juice onto the backside of the ribs and wrap tightly.
- Return to smoker/oven for approximately 1.5 hours.
- Pull out, remove foil and glaze with your favorite BBQ sauce; we use Uncle Bub’s Award winning original sauce.